Chemforce Fortifier Plus
Impregnating, permanent consolidator and water repellent. Premium protection from salt spalling & freeze-thaw spalling.
Superior protection for very porous building materials, including natural stone, which are exposed to saltwater or freeze-thaw conditions.
- Horizontal and vertical surfaces, including building envelopes (verticals), saltwater pool surrounds, cladding, paving, blockwork, brickwork.
- Appropriate for new and restored materials, including: Travertine, sandstone, limestone, precast concrete, cast stone, Saltillo, terracotta, grout, concrete blockwork and very porous bricks
- Non film-forming and retains natural colour.
- Keeps surfaces looking new for longer, makes cleaning easier.
- Fully breathable, allowing water vapor to escape freely, avoiding harmful moisture build-up inside the material.
- Designed for indoor and outdoor surfaces on residential and commercial projects.
- Negligible change to slip resistance when applied according to our written instructions and guidelines.
- High resistance to alkaline (high pH) environments. Concrete is highly alkaline/base and can severely shorten the life of other technologies.
- Totally resistant to UV
- ALWAYS TEST PRODUCT ON A SMALL AREA FIRST and allow a 24-hour cure time to determine the ease of application and desired results. Note: Fortifier PlusTM takes 2 to 4 weeks to fully cure inside the pores of the material and reach maximum hardness.
- Wear suitable solvent-resistant gloves, protective clothing, safety goggles and an organic vapour respirator during application.
- Ensure surfaces to be treated are dry, clean and free of residues.
- Surface temperature should be 40 – 950 Fahrenheit / 5 – 350 Celsius.
- Product is not to be diluted / thinned.
- Mask or otherwise protect surrounding surfaces such as window frames from overspray. If they receive overspray, clean immediately with clean, dry white cotton or other suitable absorbent cloths. Alcohol, methylated spirits or acetone can be used, taking care not to damage paintwork or other coatings.
- On very porous materials, apply the product using a low-pressure sprayer with a fan spray nozzle, working from the lowest sections upwards. On dense surfaces, such as marble, apply with a natural bristle brush or lamb’s wool applicator. If you use a brush or applicator made from synthetic material, test to ensure it is not dissolved by Fortifier PlusTM.
- Horizontal surfaces: Apply 2 generous coats, at least 10 minutes apart. For the best results, wait longer between coats, but it is important to apply each coat before the previous coat has dried.
- Vertical surfaces: To minimize dripping and running it is best to apply 4 lighter coats rather than 2 heavy coats and to begin at the bottom of a surfaces and work upwards.
- The material must be allowed to cure for at least 2 weeks before it comes into contact with salt water or solvents.
- Total application rate (total of all cots) varies widely depending on the material, porosity and finish: 4 to 12 sq. m. per litre (160 – 480 sq. ft. per gallon).
- Thoroughly polish off any excess product residue on the surface with clean, white absorbent cloths before the final coat dries.
- Clean equipment with methylated spirits, alcohol or acetone
- IMPORTANT – DIP SEALING: Surface materials which are in regular contact with salt water, including the splash zone around salt water pools, must be dip sealed prior to installation to achieve the best result. The material must be fully submerged for a minimum of 15 seconds.
- WARNING: Fortifier PlusTM will not prevent acid etching or physical wear of the surface. Fortifier PlusTM increase the strength of the surface by up to 40% – this may not be enough to make a very soft, unsuitable stone fit for purpose in a salt water or freeze-thaw environment.
- Fortifier PlusTM is breathable, so will not resist static water pressure and should not be used as a waterproof membrane.